[Users] Visit & CarpetHDF5 mismatch?

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 10 17:06:52 CDT 2012

Hello all,

> One problem can come from Visit trying to open too many files for the
> maximum open file limit of your OS.  Mac OS, for example, has a very
> small limit.  Try changing this with ulimit.  But ultimately, you
> should try to find the actual error message.  I think there is an
> option for Visit to output the errors to a file, but it's so long
> since I've used Visit that I don't remember.  Probably someone else
> can fill that in...
Well it has -debug options... My first try (in case you have not done so
yet) would be to start visit from a command line. I then spits out
errors to stderr.

If it complains about mismatching HDF5 libraries, then it will also tell
you how to work around this (the good fix is to compile with the version
of HDF5 inside VisIt, there are include and lib directories inside of
the VisIt install, the quick fix is an environment variable
HDF5_INGORE_VERSION_CHECK or so).