[Users] problem with first example simulation with ETK

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Wed Feb 8 14:37:39 CST 2012

On 8 Feb 2012, at 21:05, Jose Fiestas Iquira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The first problem was solved as I reported, by disabling the QuasiLocalMeasures. Some MPI problem. Btw, which information am I missing without QuasiLocalMeasures? (the output file was the wrong one, of a successful simulation without WeyScal4)
>
> About the .par file. I found out (please correct me if necessary) that I need to change the name of the run by the simfactory submission (here static_tov):
> ./simfactory/bin/sim submit static_tov --parfile=par/static_tov.par --procs=32 --walltime=8:0:0
>
> Otherwise the run works with the original .par (first used with this run) , and not to the newly specified .par file. So, it worked by doing
> ./simfactory/bin/sim submit static_tov01 --parfile=par/static_tov_new.par --procs=32 --walltime=8:0:0

Simulation output goes to a directory of the same name as the simulation, so if you want a new simulation, you need to give it a different name.  SimFactory interprets a second "submit" command on a simulation as an attempt to "resubmit" the simulation, which means to start a second Cactus run which continues the simulation from checkpoint files written by the first one.  So if you have forgotten to change the name or to delete the first simulation directory, simfactory doesn't do what you wanted it to.  I don't usually use the submit command for starting simulations, because of this problem.  There is a command called "create-submit" which gives an error message if the simulation already exists.  Maybe we should change simfactory to only accept explicit "submit" and "resubmit" commands to help this.