[Users] ET(K) VirtualBox image and shared folders, revisited

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Sat Jul 7 18:26:45 CDT 2012

On 8 Jul 2012, at 00:41, Scott Hawley wrote:

> I'd love to understand why moving the directory somewhere else and
> immediately back had a positive effect...
>
> etk-os:~> sudo mount -t vboxsf shawley /home/etk-user/shawley
>
> /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error
>
> etk-os:~> mv shawley/ shawley.O
> etk-os:~> sudo mount -t vboxsf shawley /home/etk-user/shawley
> /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such file or
> directory
> etk-os:~> mv shawley.O shawley
> etk-os:~> sudo mount -t vboxsf shawley /home/etk-user/shawley
> etk-os:~>
>

> ...and now it works.  That should not happen.    I won't complain for now.
>

> I still have to mount it manually.  It seems that rc.local is not being
> run, despite the execution bits being set.
> I'll add a logging line to investigate further, but this is good enough
> for now.

Weird!  It looks like it was some subtle bug, probably with the guest additions.  I tried it on my own VM (not the ET one), and the automatic mounting seemed to work without me doing anything. I found the mount point in /media.  The only thing I had to do was to add myself to the vboxsf group and log in again, in order to have the right permissions.  My version of virtualbox is not the latest though.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder