[Users] about "position_(x|y|z)[0-9]..asc" in CarpetRegrid2

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Mar 6 17:45:36 CST 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Kentaro Takami
<kentaro.takami at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>> OK. CarpetRegrid2::positions should be checkpointed and recovered; if this is working as it should (can you check your checkpoint files, just in case?), then something is changing these variables at recovery.
>
> At beginning, these variables are initialized by parameter values:
>
>> INFO (CarpetRegrid2): Initialising position of centre 0 to [15.3,0,0]
>> INFO (CarpetRegrid2): Initialising position of centre 1 to [-15.3,0,0]
>> INFO (CarpetRegrid2): Initialising position of centre 2 to [0,0,0]
>
> After reading checkpoint file, these variables are replaced by checkpoint data.
>
> However I can not directly check the checkpoint file, because already
> I don't have these checkpoint files
> and this strange behavior "sometimes" happen (not every time in recovering).
>

>> Is Whisky_MoveCarpetGrids perhaps reinitializing them?
>
> I don't think so.
> Already as I mention, I can see this strange behavior sometimes, not
> every recovering time.
> I guess...this means the behavior depend on the iteration position of
> checkpoint file.

You are making two guesses here -- about Whisky_MoveCarpetGrids, and
the one about "depend on the iteration position". I would be very
careful with such guesses; it is always necessary to check these with
hard data. I suggest you examine both the Cactus schedule and the
checkpoint file next time you see the problem.