[Users] output not overwritten anymore?

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Mar 12 15:29:10 CDT 2012

On 12 Mar 2012, at 20:25, Christian Reisswig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if the default behavior of Cactus output has been changed
> recently. When starting a simulation from scratch (i.e. no recovery), already
> existing output files used to get overwritten.
> Instead now, Cactus appends data to the end of the files. How can I change this
> behavior? Is there a parameter for this?

Hi Christian,

From IOUtil/param.ccl:

BOOLEAN truncate_files "Truncate existing output files from previous runs (except when recovering) ?" STEERABLE = ALWAYS
{
} "yes"

I don't think this has been changed.  If it is not truncating the files, then either you have this parameter set accidentally, or there is something very wrong!

On the other hand, many people who might have been involved in such a change are probably using simfactory, which ensures that you have a new empty directory for each Cactus run, so a problem might not have been noticed.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder