[Users] McLachlan initial conditions - Re: ETK in NERSC machines (Hopper/Carver) does not work properly

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Mar 12 15:42:45 CDT 2012

On 12 Mar 2012, at 20:36, Jose Fiestas Iquira wrote:

> Hello Ian,
>
> Probably I was suffering some of these problems. Finally I could checkout
> and compile ETK in Hopper. Though,  I could not submit a run using
> simfactory/bin/sim submit due to an authentication error. But we are
> interested to run our own simulation, so I wore a script for Hopper and
> sent it using exe/cactus_sim . It worked well.
>
> We are using McLachlan for the coalescence of a binary, and want to change
> the initial conditions, which are written out in TwoPunctures, right? In
> which file can I change these conditions for different simulations?

The simulation parameter file has a section containing TwoPunctures parameters.  For example, qc0-mclachlan.par has

TwoPunctures::par_b          =  1.168642873
TwoPunctures::par_m_plus     =  0.453
TwoPunctures::par_m_minus    =  0.453
TwoPunctures::par_P_plus [1] = +0.3331917498
TwoPunctures::par_P_minus[1] = -0.3331917498

These parameters are described (briefly) in the TwoPunctures documentation:

http://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/ThornGuide/ThornGuidech173.html#x194-3056000T18

Unfortunately the thorn does not have any hand-written documentation, only that which is generated automatically from the param.ccl file.  Briefly, the BHs sit on the x axis at +/- par_b. They have bare mass parameters of par_m_plus and par_m_minus and linear momenta of par_P_plus/minus[0,1,2].  "plus" and "minus" refer to the BHs on the positive and negative axes respectively.

The bare masses, momenta and spins that you can set in TwoPunctures are those from the Bowen-York initial data method.  You can read about this (for example) in

	Phys.Rev.Lett. 78 (1997) 3606-3609
	gr-qc/9703066
	http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9703066

The bare masses par_m_plus/minus are not actually the masses that you want to set in most cases though.  I would recommend something like this:

TwoPunctures::target_M_plus = 0.5
TwoPunctures::target_M_minus = 0.5
TwoPunctures::give_bare_mass = no

This tells TwoPunctures to search for the bare masses which give these target physical masses.

You can then set the linear momenta and spins using:

TwoPunctures::par_P_plus[0]             =
TwoPunctures::par_P_plus[1]             =
TwoPunctures::par_P_plus[2]             =

TwoPunctures::par_P_minus[0]            =
TwoPunctures::par_P_minus[1]            =
TwoPunctures::par_P_minus[2]            =

TwoPunctures::par_S_plus[0]             =
TwoPunctures::par_S_plus[1]             =
TwoPunctures::par_S_plus[2]             =

TwoPunctures::par_S_minus[0]            =
TwoPunctures::par_S_minus[1]            =
TwoPunctures::par_S_minus[2]            =

If you are trying to evolve circular orbits, you will need to choose the momenta carefully to obtain these.  If you are interested in hyperbolic encounters, you are more free to choose.

> [...]
>>> *     No thorn in your current ThornList implements SummationByParts*
>>> *     Either remove Meudon_Bin_NS, or add a thorn to your*
>>> *      ThornList implementing SummationByParts*
>>> *     Available thorns in arrangements directory implementing
>>> SummationByParts:*
>>> *        LSUThorns/SummationByParts*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *CST error 7:*
>>> *  -> Configuration script for thorn BLAS returned exit code 1*
>>> *     Error message: 'Error while building BLAS. Aborting.'*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *CST error 8:*
>>> *  -> Configuration script for thorn LAPACK returned exit code 1*
>>> *     Error message: 'Error while building LAPACK. Aborting.'*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *------------------------------------------------------*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *gmake[1]: ***
>>>
>> [/project/projectdirs/snfactry/hshukla/CACTUS/Cactus/configs/WaveDemo/config-data/make.thornlist]
>>> Error 1*
>>> *gmake: *** [WaveDemo] Error 2*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> 4.  Copied LSUThorns by hand and repeated step 3 and got the same errors.
>>> *
>>>
>>> *183 components checked out.*
>>> *  0 components updated.*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *  Unable to process simfactory2*
>>> *  Unable to process LSUThorns/QuasiLocalMeasures*
>>> *  Unable to process LSUThorns/SummationByParts*
>>> *  Unable to process LSUThorns/Vectors*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *Summary of Warnings:*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *Could not checkout module simfactory2*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *Could not checkout module LSUThorns/QuasiLocalMeasures*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *Could not checkout module LSUThorns/SummationByParts*
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *Could not checkout module LSUThorns/Vectors*
>>> *
>>> *
>>>
>>> *  Time Elapsed: 26 minutes, 19 seconds*

>>> Jose