[Users] cactus performance

Ursula Gamma uschigamma at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 00:20:39 CDT 2012

Dear Jose,

I think the best is you use a performance checking tool coming with your computer. For example  PAPI or

CrayPat (on your lbl machine: http://www.nersc.gov/users/software/debugging-and-profiling/craypat/). You need to access hardware counters for getting the flops; this is not a software feature.Counting flops is so last century, though, and nobody talks about this these days. I am usually just interested in getting the shortest possible walltime for a given problem I want to solve with my Uschi evolution code in the Cactus framework.

Uschi

Uschi T. Gamma
Assistant to the SC, TAPIR, Caltech