[Users] ETK VM

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 27 12:45:35 CDT 2012

Hello Dennis,

> As far as the visualization tools go, I've installed:
>
>    - xgraph
>    - ygraph
>    - gnuplot
>    - matplotlib
Is there a well defined procedure of how to ask to have more sofware
installed ? I know I will need VisIt for example. Do I just ask for it
or install it myself, then send you the commands I entered (captured
from .bash_history)?

> There was once a Linux installer for Vish on the sciviz.cct.lsu.edu site,
> but it's not there anymore.  If it's one of the tools we intend to
> demonstrate I'd be happy to compile it from source after my midterm today.
>  If there are any others, let me know and I'll add them.
>
> There's one more thing... all the thorns compiled with either OpenMPI or
> MPICH2, but the linker fails at the very end with many undefined references
> to functions (some of them HDF5)... maybe there are options to link with
> external libraries that I haven't set?  No doubt an experienced user could
> spot the root of the problem more easily than I.
Most likely it was looking for C++ or Fortran HDF5 bindings which are
not installed by the usual systems. Also I think Debian now puts hdf5 in
a weird spot so that Cactus does not find all of it (or not the Fortran
.mod file or some such thing).