[Users] Compiler warnings

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu May 10 23:43:17 CDT 2012

Hi,

While compiling a fresh checkout of the upcoming release I noticed (yet
again) the high number of compiler warnings scrolling by. I captured
them into a file and got 280k lines in 38MB this way!

I parsed this and produced a graph showing how many and which warnings
are produced for each thorn.  Of course this is highly dependent on the
compiler, it's version and flags. In this case I used numrel-gcc.cfg
from simfactory.

As you can see from the graph at
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~knarf/ET_stats/warnings.pdf there are a few
thorns which by far dominate the picture (notice the log-x scale). These
three thorns are all auto-generated. Could we do something to reduce
these numbers, and possibly also a few of the others?

The build log can be found here:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~knarf/ET_stats/build.log.xz

Frank

Note: the color-coding in the lower plot is a _linear_ ratio, while the
overall size of the bars is log-x.