[Users] Compiler warnings

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Fri May 11 02:03:46 CDT 2012

On 11 May 2012, at 06:43, Frank Loeffler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While compiling a fresh checkout of the upcoming release I noticed (yet
> again) the high number of compiler warnings scrolling by. I captured
> them into a file and got 280k lines in 38MB this way!
>
> I parsed this and produced a graph showing how many and which warnings
> are produced for each thorn.  Of course this is highly dependent on the
> compiler, it's version and flags. In this case I used numrel-gcc.cfg
> from simfactory.
> As you can see from the graph at
> http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~knarf/ET_stats/warnings.pdf there are a few
> thorns which by far dominate the picture (notice the log-x scale). These
> three thorns are all auto-generated. Could we do something to reduce
> these numbers, and possibly also a few of the others?

A lot of these warnings don't appear when I usually compile, possibly because I usually use the Intel compiler and possibly because of the compiler options.  I can take a look at fixing the unused variables in the Kranc-generated thorns next week.  I think they come about because Kranc defines constants for every floating point fraction that appears in any finite differencing operator, not just the ones used in a given calculation.

See also https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/874.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder