[Users] How I got Visit 2.4.2 & CarpetHDF5 to work on Mac OS X Lion

Scott Hawley scott.hawley at belmont.edu
Mon May 14 16:23:03 CDT 2012

Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the 64-bit binary of Visit 2.4.2 from the Visit web site
2. Downloaded the CarpetHDF directory via svn.
3. Downloaded hdf5-1.8.9 source via ftp.  I just put it in the CarpetHDF5
directory.  Did a make and make installŠ.
    "HDF5 Directory" is then .../hdf5-1.8.9/hdf5/ (see below)
4. Made sure "Remote Login" is enabled under "Sharing" in "System
Preferences".  Visit uses this.
    Went ahead and did a "ssh localhost" just to make sure. I was actually
prompted to confirm an address because I'm on LSU's network right now.
    (Presumably Visit needs a clean login with no pesky questions or
password prompts.)
5. Created symbolic links in /usr/lib to whichever MPI libraries I planned
to use.
   Older versions of OS X had native MPI support, and this is hard coded
in the binary you get from the visit site.
    I use OpenMPI and MacPorts, so I went to /usr/lib and did "sudo ln -s
/opt/local/lib/libmpi* ."
6. Deleted my ~/.visit directory entirely.  This may not be necessary.
7. Went in the CarpetHDF5 and ran ./install and Šbasically just did what
was in the readme, that is:
  in the xmledit window, clicked on "Cmake" and then updated the flags, as
in

   CXXFLAGS =
-I/Applications/VisIt.app/Contents/Resources/2.4.2/darwin-x86_64/include
-I/Users/shawley/apps/VizTools/CarpetHDF5/hdf5-1.8.9/hdf5/include
   LDFLAGS =
-L/Applications/VisIt.app/Contents/Resources/2.4.2/darwin-x86_64/lib
-L/Users/shawley/apps/VizTools/CarpetHDF5/hdf5-1.8.9/hdf5/lib
  Saved and closed the window, let it do its thing...
8. Ran visit from the command line, using the -noconfig option.   The
latest version of Visit has a problem with "localhost" on Mac, for some
reason.
so
visit -noconfig

..and then visit came up, I opened a .h5 file and was able to do all the
usual things with it!

Good luck!
-Scott