[Users] Einstein Toolkit on Mac OS

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Wed May 16 10:52:51 CDT 2012

On 16 May 2012, at 17:46, Frank Loeffler wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 05:38:30PM +0200, Ian Hinder wrote:
>> Those things should be hidden by SimFactory.  We would provide instructions for a "recommended" set of system packages and compilers for each OS, and we would provide optionlists for these.
>
> Exactly. Simfactory needs to be configured for each new machine, and
> this set of packages is what is we currently do not know/distribute.
>
> So, coming back to Mac OS what we would need is a set of packages and
> instructions how to install them, and an simfactory option list could
> then assume they are installed.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.  I thought you were saying that it was not feasible to provide these instructions.  We have actually put instructions in the Mac OS optionlists for which packages you need.  I recommend the optionlist https://svn.cct.lsu.edu/repos/numrel/simfactory2/trunk/mdb/optionlists/osx-lion-macports-gcc.cfg which has in the comments

We also have an optionlist for debian (https://svn.cct.lsu.edu/repos/numrel/simfactory2/trunk/mdb/optionlists/debian.cfg) which contains these comments:

and a Fedora optionlist (https://svn.cct.lsu.edu/repos/numrel/simfactory2/trunk/mdb/optionlists/fedora.cfg) with these comments:

> # Fedora
> #
> # Yum install command line needed to make this work:
> #
> # yum -y install mpich2 mpich2-devel \
> #   gsl gsl-devel hdf5 hdf5-devel \
> #   gcc gcc-c++ gcc-gfortran patch \
> #   java-1.6.0-openjdk subversion \
> #   git openssl-devel

I would say that we are already in pretty good shape!  If we cannot find volunteers to test these optionlists and commands on the most recent release of each of these systems at the time of the ET releases, we could also do this using virtual machines (for linux, anyway).

- --
Ian Hinder
http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder