[Users] MPI problem on Mac OS X

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Wed May 23 05:20:05 CDT 2012

On 22 May 2012, at 21:05, Babiuc-Hamilton, Maria wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I reinstalled openmpi on Mac OSX because of a broken dyld link, I was able to configure cactus, but at the end of compilation I get:

Hi Maria,

In Mac OS, there is an OpenMPI installed by default as part of the operating system.  You could also install from Fink or MacPorts, or you could install a tarball or DMG manually.  Since you have set OPENMPI_DIR to /usr/local, I assume you have done the latter?

> ndefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>  "MPI::Win::Set_errhandler(MPI::Errhandler const&)", referenced from:
>      vtable for MPI::Win in libthorn_Carpet.a(helpers.cc.o)
>      vtable for MPI::Win in libthorn_Carpet.a(ScheduleWrapper.cc.o)
>      vtable for MPI::Win in libthorn_CarpetIOHDF5.a(CarpetIOHDF5.cc.o)
>      vtable for MPI::Win in libthorn_CarpetInterp.a(interp.cc.o)
>      vtable for MPI::Win in libthorn_CarpetInterp2.a(interp2.cc.o)
>      vtable for MPI::Win in libthorn_CarpetRegrid.a(regrid.cc.o)
>      vtable for MPI::Win in libthorn_CarpetRegrid2.a(regrid.cc.o)
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I think this is an easy fix, but I don't remember what do I have to do?

Was this a fresh build after reinstalling OpenMPI?

> My MPI related config log is:
>  Setting MPI to 'OpenMPI'
>  Setting OPENMPI_DIR to '/usr/local'
>  Setting MPI_LIBS to 'mpi'
> Configuring with MPI
>  OpenMPI selected
>  Using " /usr/local/include/openmpi/" as OpenMPI include path
>  Using no explicit OpenMPI library path

I get (using the system installed version of OpenMPI on Snow Leopard):

>   Setting MPI to 'OpenMPI'
>   Setting MPI_LIBS to 'mpi'
> Configuring with MPI
>   OpenMPI selected
>   OpenMPI selected but no OPENMPI_DIR set. Checking some places...
>   Using "/usr/include/openmpi" as OpenMPI include path
>   Using no explicit OpenMPI library path

I notice in Barry's Lion optionlist he uses MacPorts for OpenMPI, whereas in Snow Leopard we both use the system version.  It might be that the system version doesn't work for us in Lion.

Which version of OS X are you using?

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder