[Users] ETK Maxwell checkout failing for McLachlan, KrancNumericalTools

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Wed May 23 08:27:23 CDT 2012

On 23 May 2012, at 14:19, Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] wrote:

> [moving back to the list after two off-list mails]
>
> Hi Ian.
>

> OK, I've tried the bare git commands you mention. Here are my results:
>
> -------------------------------
>
> humperdinck:~ prince$ git clone --depth 1 git://carpetcode.org/McLachlan
> Cloning into 'McLachlan'...
> remote: Counting objects: 961, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (627/627), done.
> remote: Total 961 (delta 772), reused 428 (delta 327)
> Receiving objects: 100% (961/961), 897.79 KiB | 397 KiB/s, done.
> Resolving deltas: 100% (772/772), done.
>

> humperdinck:~ prince$ cd McLachlan/
>
> humperdinck:McLachlan prince$ git checkout --track -b ET_2011_10
> origin/ET_2011_10
> fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
> branches.
> Did you intend to checkout 'origin/ET_2011_10' which can not be resolved
> as commit?
>
> humperdinck:McLachlan prince$ git --version
> git version 1.7.10.2
>
> -------------------------------
>

> I note that (a) there are far fewer "objects" in my git checkout (perhaps
> this is normal?) than in yours -- 978 vs 3878; (b) my git version is
> 1.7.10.2, rather than the 1.7.5.4. This is the current result of an
> up-to-date MacPorts install of git-core.

I wonder if for some reason your new version of Git is honouring the shallow clone option (--depth 1), whereas my old version is not.  I'm not sure why we do a shallow clone by default; it means that you can't use the git repository for anything particularly useful.  Possibly also you can't use it for switching branches.

The documentation says:

--depth <depth>
Create a shallow clone with a history truncated to the specified number of revisions. A shallow repository has a number of limitations (you cannot clone or fetch from it, nor push from nor into it), but is adequate if you are only interested in the recent history of a large project with a long history, and would want to send in fixes as patches.

Can you try it without the --depth 1 option and see if that fixes it?

> Bernard
>

> On 5/23/12 7:56 AM, "Ian Hinder" <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>

>> On 23 May 2012, at 13:25, Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF
>> MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ian.
>>>
>>> Yes, I should have explained that this was an additional checkout after
>>> most of ETK was already checked out (hence the number 12 instead of 175
>>> or
>>> so). But the original checkout was also Maxwell, and was performed only