[Users] ETK Maxwell checkout failing for McLachlan, KrancNumericalTools

Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] bernard.j.kelly at nasa.gov
Wed May 23 13:16:49 CDT 2012

Hi Ian.

On 5/23/12 12:48 PM, "Ian Hinder" <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

>On 23 May 2012, at 17:40, Bruno C. Mundim wrote:
>
>> Hi Beany/Ian:
>>

>>> I wonder if for some reason your new version of Git is honouring the
>>>shallow clone option (--depth 1), whereas my old version is not.  I'm
>>>not sure why we do a shallow clone by default;
>>
>> People were concerned with the size of the git repos and how slow would
>> be to check them out. So there was a decision towards checking out
>> shallow git repos.
>
>Was this based on actual experience?  I find the git repositories to be
>very fast to check out (and I am in Europe) in comparison to the
>glacially slow process of checking out a hundred separate SVN
>repositories one by one.
>
>> it means that you can't use the git repository for anything
>>particularly
>> useful.  Possibly also you can't use it for switching branches.
>>>
>> That's true. So I usually create an alias for GetComponents to always
>> use the --noshallow option like this:
>>
>> alias GC './GetComponents -a -v -p --noshallow'
>> alias GCu './GetComponents -a -u -v -p --noshallow'
>>
>> where -v and -p options are not essential.
>
>This seems to be a problem with a checkout of the release branch.  If
>GetComponents is cloning the master branch with --depth 1, and then
>trying to check out the release branch, and the release branch is not the
>same as the master branch, I think this will fail.  It would probably
>have worked when tested, because the release branch and the master branch
>would have been the same at the time of the release.  With new enough
>versions of Git, you can clone a specific branch on the command line
>(-b/--branch option), so if you do a shallow clone with this option, it
>should work.  But I would prefer ditching the shallow clones, unless
>there is real-world evidence that a full clone contributes a significant
>time to the checkout.
>
>I still don't understand why I was able to perform the checkout with my
>old version of Git.  Maybe something was tightened up in the newer
>version.
>
>Bernard: does removing the --depth 1 option fix the problem?

I'm afraid haven't been able to check your "--depth 1" fix yet; the
machine in question is at home. I can check tonight.

Bernard