[Users] ADMMass thorn gives a weird numbers with mesh refinement.

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Oct 4 16:17:55 CDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 03:57:25PM -0400, Petr Tsatsin wrote:
> As far as I understand ADMMass uses metric and lapse thought ADMMacros and
> it calculates derivatives of the metric inside.  All those GF looks fine.
> The problem appears when I use mesh refinement.

Hi,

Do values 'look ok' every so and so iterations? If so, something is
likely to be wrong with past time levels. ADMMass performs reductions,
which use time interpolations in case refinement levels don't line up in
time. If past timelevels are not populated correctly this would show as
strange numbers. Every so many iterations (depending on your setup)
however, all refinement levels are 'at the same time'. Then no time
interpolations are done and values should be ok.

Another possibility is that because ADMMass uses ADMMacros and ADMMacros
use the old Tmunu mechanism, this can go wrong when you do not use
 TmunuBase::support_old_CalcTmunu_mechanism = yes (not advised in
                                                   general: slow!)
However, I would not expect numbers _that_ wrong in this case. However,
I would like to know if this should indeed be the problem.

Frank