[Users] tov collapse

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 18 12:20:19 CDT 2012

Hello Peter,

> I'd like to test TOV collapse and I'm using the parameter file from  the ET
> paper 2011 (tov_collapse_vc_l3.par).  There are couple of thorns missing
> like Corecollapsecontrol and CartesianCoordinates? Could you please provide
> this thorns? Also I was wondering if that parameter file will work with
> ET_2012_05 release since this parameter file was tested on previous version?
The missing thorn is CoreCollapseControl (if it still complains about
Coordinates then please just remove the thorn, it is not actually used).
The thorn is Christian Ott's helper thorn to control grid setup etc
during a core collapse. Christian has already said that he is fine with
making the thorn public, it would however require some cleanup.

Since you are not the first to try this parfile and fail (and since I am
the person responsible for publishing the parfile), would you mind
giving the attached one a try please? It replaces CoreCollapseControl
with AEIThorns/Trigger.

I also attach a an amended thorn list to pull in the thorn. Steps are:

cd Cactus
bin/GetComponents -a --root . --thornlist einsteintoolkitAndTrigger.th
simfactory/bin/sim build --reconfig --thornlist einsteintoolkitAndTrigger.th

Please see the recent thread with Chris Evans
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2012-October/002591.html on
this mailing list as well (and Vasilios Mewes
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2012-July/002364.html
some time ago).

Please note that the parfile apparently leads to GRHydro NaN errors
eventually (it always did but only after black hole formation, I am not
sure when it happens right now).

I theory the parameter file should work with newer versions. I am trying
it right now with the Lovelace release (2012_05) and will get back to
you (and Chris) once I am done. Feel free to give it at try as well though.