[Users] Einstein Toolkit Meeting Reminder

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Sun Apr 28 23:55:34 CDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:58:00PM -0400, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> This is not really news, given that all test cases are run automatically
> after every commit: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/>; look for "Status".

You are right. This has been steady for some months now, in no small
part due to these automated tests - thanks to Barry and Ian. I was
referring to a more distant past, when it was a bit like this:

  http://geek-and-poke.com/2011/08/hudson-status-monitor.html

Speaking about tests: I did a quick test on spine (the machine that
currently doesn't show failures). This uses gcc, and I only changed the
optimization from -O2 to -Ofast. The result is some testsuite failures,
most of them the 'usual set': Exact, GRHydro: weno, Symmetry thorns.

-Ofast (apart other things) uses some non-conforming math, something
that is not default for gcc. The intel compiler, on the other hand, does
some non-conforming math by default (but very likely not the same subset
as gcc with -Ofast). Part of the testsuite failures could just be due
to this: different compiler defaults and/or options. Also here: this is
not news.
We are likely not talking about a lot of bugs in the code, but more
likely about how much inaccuracy we are willing to trade for speed.

Frank