[Users] Meeting Minutes

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Dec 2 13:38:22 CST 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 11:20:20AM -0800, Roland Haas wrote:
> * suggestion to not include that tarball in ExternalLibraries, instead
> download in configure.sh script of thorn only if needed. Not yet fully
> agreed on whether we want this or not.

This can sometimes be difficult to make work. In some cases one has to
build on a compute node (e.g. when some libraries are only installed
there, e.g. GPU-related libraries - this is currently the case for
instance on supermike). However, compute nodes might not be able to make
connections directly to the Internet, or there might be policies against
it.

I would rather like a solution that downloads the tarball together with
the thorn.

This is primarily a problem for large libraries though, especially when
a corresponding system library exists and is used. It doesn't only
increase the size of a checkout, it also increases the size of the
executable (when using Formaline). We could exclude external libraries
from Formaline (at least the dist subdirectory) - system libraries are
not included as well after all.
This would leave us with the problem of the large checkout. I don't
think the download is so much of a problem, but the disk space might be.
As long as it is a tarball it should at least not be a huge inode
problem, and can easily be compressed.

Frank