[Users] Non-subcylcing AMR

Steven R. Brandt sbrandt at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Dec 2 17:22:06 CST 2013

I'm wondering what it would take to get nonsubcycling AMR.

I think this capability would be very valuable, as it would open up the
possibility of doing elliptic solves on each time step (which is
something I need to do).

It would also make adaptive time steps easier (something else I need).

Finally, it would help with another problem which I might be able to fix
by restructuring.

My update equation computes the second derivative of a variable, and
then syncs it so that I have the second derivative everywhere. Even
though a sync is called after the derivative is computed, the ghost
zones don't get filled in, and even if they did I'm not sure the values
that Carpet would compute would make sense (as the data would have to
come by prolongation). If we had a nonsubcycling AMR, I could sync
whenever I wanted to within an evolution step and not worry about time
levels. I may be able to fix this problem by restructuring the code, but
I know I need nonsubcycling in the long run anyway.

How hard would it be to teach Carpet how to do this? How hard would it
be for me to learn the relevant parts of Carpet to do this?

Cheers,
Steve