[Users] Mojave|Simfactory|Fortran(thorn): F90 compiler rejecting "_##" in var names

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 05:45:00 CST 2013

On Dec 20, 2013 5:51 AM, "Ian Hinder" <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2013, at 07:58, Scott Hawley <scott.hawley at belmont.edu> wrote:
>
>> Aha!  That's the missing piece.
>>
>> Also, FWIW, apparently in Apple's latest OS "Mavericks", cpp does not
support macro concatenation via ## like the true GNU compilers do. (I
tested this; I copied and pasted example source from the GNU manual.)
Furthermore it ignores the "--traditional" flag, i.e. generates no warning
or error if you supply the flag, but it has no effect on the behavior.

>> So!  Problem solved.  The fix is to  specify FPP= in the options file
with the --traditional flag, using a true GNU compiler such as from
MacPorts.    No modifications to cctk_Types.h is necessary.

>> Thanks Roland!
>

> Hi Scott,
>
> We usually find that the apple compilers are not suitable for compiling
the ET; we support using MacPorts using the simfactory optionlists, as this
provides a single way to install all the required compilers and components.
 It's possible that we could make the apple compilers work, but there are
other projects which have a higher priority.

One possible explanation for the issue with the Apple compiler is that at
some point relatively recently they switched from GCC to llvm as the
compiler bundled with xcode. So it's possible that it's an issue with the
version of llvm rather than purely an Apple issue.

There are also other reasons for supporting MacPorts GCC instead of the
Apple compiler. Probably the biggest one is that the Apple compiler doesn't
support Fortran, so as soon as you encounter a thorn which uses Fortran
code your build would fail.

Barry