[Users] Grid structure

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 08:11:18 CST 2013

Hi Erik,

Thanks for writing.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
> Matt
>
> (You are presumably speaking of the grid structure stored in HDF5 output
> files, including in checkpoint files.) What do you intend to do with the
> grid structure you so obtain?

Yup, that's the structure I'm referring to.  I hope to reconstruct the
mesh in memory; I have some data I'd like to examine in yt (
 http://yt-project.org/ ) which requires understanding the spatial
layout of all the grid patches.  Right now I'm able to load the data
in, make plots, etc, but I'm stuck at a few of the details, and I was
hoping to either track it down inside the parsing by perhaps using a
second approach to the problem.

> If you are interested in the exact grid structure, then yes, this is the
> correct way to do so. For example, when Carpet reads a grid structure e.g.
> for recovery, it uses this information.
>
> However, if you e.g. want to visualise data, then there is an alternative.
> Each dataset (HDF5 component) contains attributes describing the coordinate
> of its upper left corner as well as the coordinate distance between grid
> points (grid spacing). This should suffice to correctly combine the datasets
> you read in, and may be much simpler than parsing the grid structure.

Ah, this will be very helpful!  I'll attempt to use this information instead.

> Note that the VisIt visualisation toolkit knows how to read Carpet output.
> You could look at its reader for details.
>
> If you are really interested in parsing the grid structure, then it may be
> easier to discuss this in person. Are you available on Monday morning 11:00
> EST for the Einstein Toolkit telecon? I can explain things there.

I'd love to join in -- thank you for mentioning it!

-Matt