[Users] strong scaling tests on Stampede (TACC)

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Feb 21 21:05:38 CST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 06:31:23PM -0700, Bruno Giacomazzo wrote:
> 	I found out that the problem is due to 1D ASCII output
> 	(which is active in that parfile) and that makes the runs
> 	particularly slow above ~100 cores on this machine.

That is not not just on this machine. xD output with x>=1 doesn't scale.
Anywhere. Use HDF5, except for debugging where ASCII might be more
convenient and you don't care about performance. There isn't much you
could do about that without changing CarpetIOASCII.

> 	and hence I didn't plot them in the other figure). I didn't try
> 	using 1D hdf5 output instead, does anyone use it?

Not 1D, but 2D, and that works very well.

Frank