[Users] Evolving grid arrays using MoL

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Oct 7 11:47:11 CDT 2013

On 28 Sep 2013, at 16:17, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, this (i.e. the work-around of scheduling the RHS in level mode, and then only actually executing the routine if this corresponds to global mode) is how I made things work. I haven't tried this recently, though. Maybe a test case would be in order...
>
> Rather straightforward changes to MoL should allow scheduling the RHS in global mode as well, which would then work elegantly. This would probably require to duplicate MoL's integration logic, so that grid functions are integrated in level mode while grid arrays are integrated in global mode.

Is the problem that the grid arrays are not available in global mode, but they are available in level mode?  Or is there some other reason that global mode cannot be used?  When I try to call the interpolator in MoL_CalcRHS in level mode, I get

Assertion failed: (not (not want_global_mode and num_time_derivs.AT(m) == 0 and need_time_interp.AT(m))), function interpolate_components, file /Users/ian/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetInterp/src/interp.cc, line 1353.

This is with InterpNumTimelevels = 1 in the interpolator parameters.  I dug around in interp.cc, and came across the interpolation parameter want_global_mode.  Setting this to 1 seems to allow the interpolation to succeed, but I don't know if this will break in certain situations.  What does this interpolator parameter do?

My problem with registration turned out to be that I was trying to register MoL for grid SCALARs, not grid ARRAYs.  A vector of grid arrays seems to work.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder