[Users] Migration from SVN to Git

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 19 15:25:54 CDT 2014

Hello all,

>>> I might be wrong, but didn't we want GRHydro+GRHydro_Initdata as one
>>> "GRHydro" arrangement?
>> I don't recall this decision. Do you have a pointer to the discussion?
There are notes on the wiki in the "repository transition" page, the
closest thing to discussion notes are likely the minutes from 03/18/2014
(BTW: any progress on getting links to the archived email into the
mailing list email footers? This would be really helpful and there were
some suggestions on how to make this work on the trac ticket).

GRHydro_InitData would be treated as a "Test" thorn (not ID in there is
actually used for a real simulation) and thus would be "related" to
GRHydro. The two thorns are also very tightly coupled since
GRHydro_InitData directly calls some of GRHydro's routines.

>> I know that it is difficult to place GRHydro_InitData into a particular
> arrangement, but at the same time, reducing the number of arrangements is
> also important.
>
> As far as I remember this was suggested because GRHydro is internally a git
> repository, so it doesn't seem sensible to convert it to separate svn
> repositories only to convert back to git and merge again. I think the
> suggestion was to instead just directly use the GRHydro git repository.
As far as I know there is no GRHydro git repository. The svn repo in the
ET is the official GRHydro thorn.

There *is* a version of GRHydro that is in a git repository, namely the
version in Caltech's Zelmani repository. This is actually where most
development happens and for a long time I regularly would sync (by hand
by cherry picking commits) the two repositories. Since I have not done
so for a bit, I don't know how much they differ by now.

Zelmani contains other things than GRHydro (eg a copy of RNSID) so it
cannot be made public in its entirety. Also the version of GRHydro in
Zelmani is "experimental" and contain some hacks the were rejected from
the svn repo (and it *will* fail often since all of Caltech's
development happens there and the group tries many things).

So I would actually use the current svn repo as a starting point, then
given that we may only want a single repo for all of it (which may not
be feasible since eg some branches in Zelmani are used to provide a
consistent set of thorns from *multiple* external repositories [eg
McLachlan, LocalInterp]) make some branches for the Caltech and other
stuff that will never make it into master.

Given the amount of changes and experiments going on in Zelmani it is (I
suspect) not possible to have a situation where before an ET release we
"clean up" and "safeguard" experiments in GRHydro and make the result
the released version (this would introduce many half-baked things into
the released version).