[Users] Cactus build problems

Ian Smith the.pond at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Aug 20 08:47:12 CDT 2014

On 20/08/14 13:56, Dumsani Ndzinisa wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> As far as I know, those limits are set in the machine definition file,
> the .ini file specifically. Once you have added them on, do a fresh
> build, making sure to pass the ini file as an (optional) argument to
> you new build. That is, simfactory/bin/sim build .....
>   --machine=simfactory/mdb/machines/<machinename.ini>
> If not set, they will take on some default values which might limit
> you on submission when you now try to ask for more cores
> (processors) than the set (default) maximum. This seems to be
> the trouble in your case.
>
> It is also possible for the ini file that you are currently using not to
> have these variables. In that case, you will need to add them. See
> an example ini file in the files shipped with the code (in
> simfactory/mdb/machines/).
>
> I hope that helps shed some light.
>
> Regards,
> Dumsani

Hi Dumsani,

Thanks for your help.  I was confident that your suggestion would work,
but would you believe this?

./simfactory/bin/sim build --thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th
--machine=simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini
Error: retrieving Machine entry for Machine
simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini: Machine
simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini doesn't exist
Aborting Simfactory.

ls -lAh simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian ian 1.1K Aug 20 14:27 simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini

So I looked in sim --help and tried:

./simfactory/bin/sim build --thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th
--mdb=simfactory/mdb/machines/sumo.ini

and that seemed to work, and

./simfactory/bin/sim submit static_tov
--parfile=par/static_tov_small.par --walltime=8:0:0

started a process, but on one CPU as before.  So I then tried:

./simfactory/bin/sim submit static_tov --machine=sumo
--parfile=par/static_tov_small.par --ppn=2 --procs=2 --walltime=8:0:0
Error: retrieving Machine entry for Machine sumo: Machine sumo doesn't exist
Aborting Simfactory.

then I tried sumo.ini, path to sumo.ini (but I specified the machine for
the build so do I need to do this in the sim command as well?) and
probably a few other things, but still can't get more than one
core/thread to start.  Phew!

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Ian.