[Users] Wv reconstruction issue for PPM+Poly EoS

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 5 01:23:00 CST 2014

Hello Hee Il,

> Even though it may not be popularly used, Wv-reconstruction for
> PPM+Polytropic EoS doesn't seem to work properly. It gives significantly
> different result compared to the one with velocity reconstruction. I have
> seen at least the followings are fine;
>
> 2nd order ENO + Poly EoS (cf. crashed with 3rd order ENO)
> PPM + Ideal Fluid EoS
> 5th order WENO + Ideal Fluid EoS (cf. No poly EoS supports in WENO)
>
> The tests have been done with Herschel and partly with Noether.
Just to be very sure: you see these issues only when using polytropic
EOS, ie Ideal_Fluid EOS is fine? I am asking because for some of the
routines there are two copies, a Ideal_Fluid one and a 2D_Polytrope one
and only the later would contain the possible bug if you only see it for
polytropes. Note that reconstruct_Wv does (by design) give different
answers than the direct velocity reconstruction, in particular when the
velocities are high. Are the "different" numbers you see "obviously wrong"?