[Users] Building on Mac OS

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Feb 10 05:42:34 CST 2014

Hi,

I tried to compile the ET on my Mac OS 10.8.5 laptop this morning, and it failed while trying to compile MPI.  I'm not sure why it wants to compile MPI, since I have openmpi installed via MacPorts.  The error was

> vt_pform_macos.c: In function 'vt_pform_wtime':
> vt_pform_macos.c:210:7: error: 'asm' undeclared (first use in this function)
> vt_pform_macos.c:210:7: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
> vt_pform_macos.c:210:11: error: expected ';' before 'volatile'
> make[7]: *** [libvt_la-vt_pform_macos.lo] Error 1
> make[6]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[5]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> ERROR: Error while building MPI. Aborting.
>
> CST error 1:
>   -> Configuration script for thorn MPI returned exit code 1
>      Error message: 'Error while building MPI. Aborting.'

This may have been a problem all along, but in the past, the MPI thorn was able to detect my installation of MPI.  But now, it says:

> Running configuration script for thorn MPI:
> MPI selected, but MPI_DIR not set. Checking some places...
> MPI: Preparing directory structure...
> MPI: Unpacking archive...
> ~/Cactus/EinsteinToolkit/configs/sim/scratch/build/MPI ~/Cactus/EinsteinToolkit/configs/sim/scratch
> MPI not found
> Using bundled MPI...
> Building MPI

> [ian at Ians-MacBook-Pro EinsteinToolkit (proposed)]$ port list installed|grep mpi
> mpi_select                     @0.0            sysutils/mpi_select
> openmpi                        @1.7.3          science/openmpi
> openmpi-default                @1.7.3          science/openmpi

Has anybody run into this before?  If not, then I can attempt to dig into the configure script and find out why it's not detecting openmpi from macports anymore.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder