[Users] Meeting Minutes

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Feb 11 11:49:26 CST 2014

On 11 Feb 2014, at 15:30, Steven R. Brandt <sbrandt at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> On 02/10/2014 11:07 AM, Roland Haas wrote:
>> Present: Peter, Steve, Roland, Erik, Josh, Matt, Philipp
>>
>> * Erik, Ian and Barry are working on simfactory 3 which modularizes
>> simfactory and includes facilities to build ExternalLibraries outside of
>> Cactus
>> ** downloads source code of external libraries only when required
>> ** contact Ian Hinder for access to source code
>> ** Steve asked if the modules in simfactory would be useful as a basis
>> to replace the main Cactus make file with a script
>> ** Erik said that so far simfactory 3 treats Cactus as a black box
SimFactory 3 supports multiple user-defined "applications", of which Cactus is just one.  As such, Cactus-specific knowledge is compartmentalised.  In my opinion, simfactory should know as little about cactus as possible; we will add convenience features on top of the cactus build system because the cactus build system lacks them, but this is a pragmatic solution – ideally the cactus build system would be improved and this extra layer could be removed from simfactory, but that is more complicated as the cactus make system is quite "involved".

> It might be useful if SF3 automatically detected when the relevant
> optionlist had changed.

Yes, we have decided to do that, and also for the thornlist.  It was a design decision of versions 1 and 2 that the options should be explicitly imported to the configuration, rather than pointing the configuration to the external file, but I think this leads to too much confusion.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder