[Users] Building on Mac OS

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Thu Feb 27 19:44:04 CST 2014

On 10 Feb 2014, at 11:52, David Radice <david.e.pi.3.14 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2014, at 8:51 AM, David Radice <david.e.pi.3.14 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2014, at 3:42 AM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anybody run into this before?  If not, then I can attempt to dig into the configure script and find out why it's not detecting openmpi from macports anymore.
>>
>> yes I ran into this problem.
>>
>> The reason why the MPI thorn does not find the OpenMPI from MacPorts is that MacPorts recently changed the way in which MPI is installed. They wanted to support the simultaneous installation of multiple OpenMPI versions compiled with different compilers, so they decided to move all the header files and libraries of OpenMPI to some nonstandard locations where the MPI thorn does not find them. If I am not mistaken the new paths look like these:
>>
>> the headers in ${PREFIX}/include/${OMPI_VERSION} ,
>> the libraries in ${PREFIX}/lib/${OMP_VERSION} .
>>
>> The default MPI wrappers have also been renamed as ${OMPI_VERSION}-${NAME}. The new port "mpi select" can create aliases for those, but since ET does not use the MPI wrappers to compile, this does not help very much.
>>
>> Possible solutions would be to either compile with the MPI wrappers, change to option list to explicitly set MPI_INC_DIR and MPI_LIB_DIRS, or manually compile OpenMPI and point the MPI thorn to it. I would recommend the last of these options, because I am not sure that OpenMPI is compiled correctly by MacPorts: it used to be the case that OpenMPI was compiled with a mix of clang (for the C part) and gcc (for the Fortran code), which resulted in some very weird behavior when running with OpenMPI and OpenMP, and I am not sure that the new "gcc versions" of OpenMPI are actually compiled with gcc or if they simply use gcc as the default target for the wrapper scripts.

I chose the penultimate option; OpenMPI seems to work OK for me at the moment.  We can keep an eye on it in case there are problems.  I have now committed this to the simfactory trunk.  This means that the release is broken for Mac OS users, as the current MacPorts location is not auto-detected by the MPI thorn, and the build of OpenMPI is broken.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder