[Users] Einstein Toolkit Meeting Minutes

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 09:35:41 CDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Frank Loeffler <knarf at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> We could provide one. We cannot enforce people installing it.
>
> > and on top of that set up the server to reject unformatted messages?
>
> That is probably the better option. Although I would only see it as help
> to "not forget about it", not an enforcement really (although
> technically it is the same). We cannot disallow anything else than thorn
> names before the ":" (we might have commit touching multiple thorns), so
> we cannot technically prevent something like "somewhere: changed
> something". But we don't need to technically enforce everything anyway.

This is a good point. While it seems like a good general guideline to have
the thorn name as a prefix in any commit message, I'm not convinced it is a
good idea to strictly enforce it. For example, what about commits that
modify several thorns at once?

Carpet has a policy like this; in general commit messages are prefixed by
the thorn name, but occasionally there will be a message which changes many
thorns at once and doesn't adhere to this convention.