[Users] reading/using HDF5 chunked 3D output in VisiT?

Bernard Kelly physicsbeany at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:20:46 CDT 2014

Hi all.

A summer intern here has been doing some visualizations with CarpetIOHDF5
2D data in VisiT, and it all seems to be going well. However, we're having
trouble using the 3D output.

* using the default "chunked" output, and looking at individual files
*seems* to load OK, but the file contents are suspiciously similar across
all cores (e.g., all show the same domain size, rather than specific chunks
of it as I'd expect)

* switching to the "unchunked" output (which takes a long time for Carpet
to create), loading goes OK, but any attempt to visualize hangs, with an
error message along the lines of "engine abnormally exited"

We're using fairly up-to-date VisiT (v. 2.7.2 / 2.7.3).

Any insight welcomed. Thanks,

Bernard