[Users] reading/using HDF5 chunked 3D output in VisiT?

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 21 10:26:15 CDT 2014

Hello Bernard,

> I saw that VisiT wanted to open all the files as a single "database" by
> default, but I explicitly told it *not* to do this. Perhaps it disobeyed me
> and did it anyway? The impression I had was that the database assumed the
> different files were a time series rather than a collection of 3D patches
> of a single time level.
The CarpetHDF5 VisIt plugin contains explicit code to ignore VisIt's
attempts to treat file_0.h5 file_1.h5 etc as a time series and will
always behave (at least in the current version) as if only file_0 was
given. It will then behave as Bruno described and on its own seek out
file_1 file_2 etc.

I am not even sure if you can open just file_1 or if it will
automatically revert to opening all files. You'd have to physically move
file_0 etc out of the way to test how it behaves when opening file_1
alone I think.