[Users] ET_2014_05 fails to build on Linux Mint 17

Dumsani Ndzinisa g14n8326 at campus.ru.ac.za
Thu Jun 26 04:56:43 CDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I have a fresh checkout of the latest stable release of the Einstein Toolkit
(ET_2014_05) which I'm trying to build on my laptop. The laptop is
running on Linux Mint 17, and I have adapted configuration options from
the bundled "ubuntu.cfg" file. On my machine, I have gcc version 4.8.2,
g++ version 4.8.2, and gfortran 4.8.2 as well.

However, when building the toolkit (using the thornlist "einsteintoolkit.th)
the build always fails no matter what I try. For instance, on my very first
attempt, I didn't use any of my locally installed libraries but opted
for the
ones bundled with the toolkit. There was one error message in that case
pointing to the PAPI library having failed to get configured. I then decided
to comment out this thorn from the thornlist (in the .th file). From there
on, still building with the bundled external libraries, I have been
persistently
getting an error message (in the linking stage) to the effect a certain
library (lnuma) could not be found. Below is the error message that gets
returned onto the screen:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnuma
/home/dumsani/Cactus/lib/make/make.configuration:147: recipe for target
'/home/dumsani/Cactus/exe/cactus_test-ET6' failed
make[1]: *** [/home/dumsani/Cactus/exe/cactus_test-ET6] Error 1
Makefile:254: recipe for target 'test-ET6' failed
make: *** [test-ET6] Error 2

I would appreciate if anyone with some idea came to my rescue here.
Cactus and the ET are still very new to me. I've been stuck on this for
almost a week now. And I am of the idea that it shouldn't be taking me
that long. Together with my advisor, we have made a checkout of Cactus
(Llama thornlist) earlier and he did oriente me to the process until we
had a successful build (we got the executable) for the llama thornlist. So,
now the idea is for me to get some more practice with Cactus/ET by
checking out the full toolkit, configuring, building and then running some
example simulations provided in the toolkit.

Thank you in advance for your help.