[Users] issues when compiling

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Sep 23 12:06:22 CDT 2014

Hi Francisco,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 11:56:14AM -0500, Francisco S. Guzman wrote:
> I'm kind of new at ET and am trying to compile the einsteintoolkit.th set
> of thorns.

Is this using a release or the development version?

> I get the following problem:
>
> /home/guzman/ET/Cactus/configs/ejemplo/scratch/external/MPI/lib/libmpi.a(ompi_mpi_init.o):
> In function `ompi_warn_fork':
> ompi_mpi_init.c:(.text+0x8a): undefined reference to `pthread_atfork'

This might be a missing -lpthread on the link line. MPI should detect
this (and maybe already does in the development version), but can you
try adding

PTHREADS = yes

to your option list?

> It also happens that when compiling ET doesn't like any options on MPI
> (=MPICH or =OpenMPI) and states it is deprecated and refers to MPI
> instead. How can I handle this sophisticated statement?

You either set MPI_DIR to the directory where MPI is installed, or you
don't - and let Cactus try to find something suitable or build one by
itself (which seemed to have happened for you).

Frank