[Users] IllinoisGRMHD Code Compatibility Layer

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Aug 17 22:10:22 CDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Zach Etienne <zachetie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Great questions.
>
> - Is it necessary to have an explicit conversion thorn? Couldn't these
> routines be simply part of IllinoisGRMHD? For example, McLachlan uses its
> own variable, and contains its own routines to convert from/to ADMBase.
>
> IllinoisGRMHD is designed to maximize user-friendliness, and to this end
> one of my goals is to minimize the amount of source code inside
> IllinoisGRMHD that is not directly related to GRMHD evolution. Thus if
> possible, I would prefer not incorporating functionality from these thorns
> into IllinoisGRMHD.

That's fine. However, what I then don't understand -- why is the same
function apparently needed both inside and outside of IllinoisGRMHD?

- If the routines really need to exist in two thorns, then I suggest having
> the actual routines in only one place, and calling the routines from the
> other place. (I probably completely missed the original motivation.) If
> necessary, you would need to introduce a third thorn containing these
> routines that these two thorns can call.
>
> I would prefer not adding another thorn if possible, as I want to minimize
> the effort required by a new user to read and understand the IllinoisGRMHD
> evolution code. If they need to hunt in other thorns for needed functions,
> learning IllinoisGRMHD would require more effort. I could also raise a
> performance objection, in that the compiler may not be able to optimize as
> well if functions deep within loops exist in other thorns.
>
> Here's a promising alternative: I just looked at the two
> compatibility-layer thorns in a bit more detail. Turns out there are a
> total of 2 functions from within IllinoisGRMHD that are needed by these two
> compatibility-layer thorns. If I make these two functions share-able in
> IllinoisGRMHD/interface.ccl, they can be accessed from the other thorns,
> right? Two complications:
> 1) these functions depend on a number of other functions within
> IllinoisGRMHD, so would this linkage work?
> 2) there is a header file "IllinoisGRMHD_headers.h" that is needed by
> both thorns...

Cactus has a mechanism for this. This will just be a regular function call,
so the fact that these two functions call other functions doesn't matter.
If you are using a header file, then you don't need to additionally declare
the function in interface.ccl. The interface.ccl mechanism is only needed
if you want flexibility, so that one can change the thorns that provide
these functions at run time. That doesn't seem relevant here.

> In the end, as described in the IllinoisGRMHD trac ticket (
> https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1796) I would like to move
> IllinoisGRMHD to a wider arrangement (called WVUThorns, for example),
> because it will be the first of many thorns my research team and I intend
> to contribute to the Toolkit. So if all these IllinoisGRMHD-related thorns
> exist in the same arrangement, maybe symbolic links aren't the worst
> possible option. git seems to have no problem handling them.

As I mentioned, symbolic links give you the same file, and hence the same
function name multiple times. This is not allowed by the linker. It is also
confusing for people to see the same file / functions in two different
places. Please try to find another solution. Regular function calls to
another thorn will just work (if you provide respective header files), and
there is no overhead associated with this.

- Would scheduling "IN initial AFTER HydroBase_Initial" work?

> Not sure; I will need to try this.
>
> - Similarly, there should be a group HydroBase_SetHydroBaseVars where the
> respective routine should be scheduled. I think half of the functionality
> that is present in ADMBase is still missing from HydroBase since, so far,
> there was only one thorn (... or two very similar thorns ...) that used
> HydroBase. Feel free to suggest the respective extensions to HydroBase,
> modelled after ADMBase if possible.
>
> This is a neat idea, and brings up another item on my TODO list: HydroBase
> currently does not allow for any input as to the staggering of the
> A-fields. Currently IllinoisGRMHD must define its own A-field variables in
> individual variable groups because the prolongation type for Avec in
> HydroBase is not independently specifiable for the different components of
> A. In addition to adding a group HydroBase_SetHydroBaseVars, it would
> also be nice to generalize the specification of A-fields.

Can you make a concrete suggestion?

-erik

Thanks, and have a great afternoon.