[Users] IllinoisGRMHD Code Compatibility Layer

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Aug 18 04:48:59 CDT 2015

On 17 Aug 2015, at 20:23, Zach Etienne <zachetie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Great questions.
>
> - Is it necessary to have an explicit conversion thorn? Couldn't these routines be simply part of IllinoisGRMHD? For example, McLachlan uses its own variable, and contains its own routines to convert from/to ADMBase.
>
> IllinoisGRMHD is designed to maximize user-friendliness, and to this end one of my goals is to minimize the amount of source code inside IllinoisGRMHD that is not directly related to GRMHD evolution. Thus if possible, I would prefer not incorporating functionality from these thorns into IllinoisGRMHD.

Just a quick comment: maybe it would be possible to isolate all such "extra" functionality in a single source file, and make it clear that this is only present for compatibility, and isn't relevant to the internal workings of the thorn.  It is true that compatibility code can make things cluttered, but maybe having it separate would be enough?

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin