[Users] Benchmarking results for McLachlan rewrite

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Sat Jul 4 09:21:32 CDT 2015

On 3 Jul 2015, at 22:38, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> I ran the Simfactory benchmark for ML_BSSN on both the current version and the "rewrite" branch to see whether this branch is ready for production use. I ran this benchmark on a single node of Shelob at LSU. In both cases, using 2 OpenMP threads and 8 MPI processes per node was fastest, so I am reporting these results below. Since I was interested in the performance of McLachlan, this is a unigrid vacuum benchmark using fourth order differencing.
>
> One noteworthy difference is that dissipation as implemented in the "rewrite" branch is finally approximately as fast as thorn Dissipation, and I have thus used this option for the "rewrite" branch.
>
> Here are the high-level results:
>
> current: 3.03136e-06 sec per grid point
> rewrite: 2.85734e-06 sec per grid point
>
> That is, the rewrite branch is about 5% faster.

Hi Erik,

That is very reassuring!  However, for production use, I would be more interested in 6th or 8th order finite differencing (where the advection stencils become very large), and with Jacobians.  If 8th order with Jacobians is at least a similar speed with the rewrite branch, then I would be happy with switching.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin