[Users] More Bizarre Scheduling Behavior in a Carpet Run (Bug?!)

Roland Haas rhaas at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jun 2 12:36:12 CDT 2015

Hello all,

> Another thought: you said that the finest grid looked ok, but the
> coarser grids had problems.  This points in the direction of
> restriction, which is not called on the finest grid.  Which region of
> the coarse grid looks wrong?  Could it be the points which are
> restricted, or are within a few points of the refinement boundary?  I
> believe restriction is also not called for routines in ANALYSIS.
Not sure if this is what happens to you but I got caught by this once:

If you are scheduling everything in GLOBAL (which is the same as
GLOBAL-LATE in ANALYSIS) then your OUTPUT will be incorrect since OUTPUT
is happening in LEVEL mode thus refinement level 3 is output before the
GLOBAL routine (which runs along with level 0) is executed. So your
output is wrong but the data that the simulation sees would actually
correct. An easy fix is to use GLOBAL-EARLY instead of GLOBAL.

So I would add print statements or the like (or Ian's suggestion of
calling OutputVarAsByMethod) to get output directly out of the
loop-local routine (actually it may have to be loop-level though I am
not sure).