[Users] questions about working elliptic solver thorns

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Wed May 27 14:54:32 CDT 2015

On 27 May 2015, at 20:50, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Frank suggested you might be an appropriate person to ask about elliptic solver thorns that work in the current release of ET. I have, as you know, built Hilbert and have built the development version.

Hi Comer,

There is a page (https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Generic_elliptic_solver) on the wiki describing our attempts to round up all the elliptic solvers in November 2011. I don't think it's linked from https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org, but I found it with a search.

Since this list was written, a multigrid solver has been developed by Eloisa Bentivegna, and has been proposed for inclusion in the ET.  The corresponding ticket is https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1676.  It is a part of the Cosmo Toolkit (https://bitbucket.org/eloisa/cosmology), a collection of Cactus thorns focused on cosmology.

I include below the email Eloisa sent to the ET list on 28-Aug-2013.  We are going to push to get this included in the toolkit as soon as possible, but definitely before the next release.  According to the ticket, we need to provide some examples for the gallery page before it can be included, and this is what is holding it up!

Regarding the last part of your question,

> Can you thus please bring me up to the current moment on just what elliptic solvers are in use for initial data construction in Hilbert?  I know many people have been focussing on the multiple BH problem, so there's not much traffic anymore about Brill.  I do want to run Brill though and also do the "geon" problem.

I think you have characterised the situation quite well; most focus has been on TwoPuncture for binary black holes, and LORENE for binary neutron stars.

As far as I can tell, the IDBrillData thorn can use either BAM_elliptic, SOR or petsc, as you can see from its param.ccl.  I have never used this thorn, but my guess is that it can be made to work.  In fact, in the par directory is an example using SOR, from the CactusElliptic arrangement, which IS in the ET:

	IDBrillData/par/brilldata.par

You could also give that a try, if you are willing to lower yourself to using SOR :) I just ran it, and it spits out some warnings about symmetry boundary conditions, but it generates a metric which isn't 0 or NaN, so there's a good chance it works!

sim create-run arrangements/EinsteinInitialData/IDBrillData/par/brilldata.par

Here is Eloisa's email about the multigrid solver:

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin