[Users] Visualization of AHFinderDirect horizons

Michael Clark michael.clark at gatech.edu
Fri Nov 13 14:14:34 CST 2015

Hi Frank,

You can give it the filename of a CarperIOHDF5 file, and it will then
> only include time steps for which this file has data, and in case no AH
> is found for time steps present there, will insert a bogus AH (not
> visible) to make visit happy.
>
> AH2xdmf.py --help    should help.
>
> Frank

Yes, I have been using a CarpetIOHDF5 file in this manner, but what I get
when I load the xdmf data and the h5 data into visit is not what I'd hoped:
if I plot the hdf5 variable (say as a contour plot) alongside the horizon
data (which is not clear to me how best to do this; I have tried using
Subset as well as Mesh plots on the quantity "AHs"), I see the h5 data
variable varying with the time slider, but the horizon plotted does not
change with time.  This is what led me to believe I was seeing the sum
total of the horizon traced out over time, not an instantaneous snapshot at
the same timestep as the h5 data variable.

Is this what I *should* be seeing?  Should I be using some other plot type,
or plotting some other variable from the xdmf?

If I load only the xdmf by itself, I don't get a working timeslider at
all.  Is this the behavior I should be seeing?

Is any of this behavior possibly influenced by Visit version, or version of
its xdmf reader?

To Eloisa,

> Hi,
>
> a few weeks ago, I suggested the following procedure to accomplish
exactly what Michael is asking for:

Right now I'm still hoping to get the xdmf method working because it sounds
like it might be more direct for making movies, but this is something I'm
interested in if that method seems unworkable.

-Michael