[Users] SimulationTools/h5mma: Unable to communicate with closed link

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Apr 12 11:32:24 CDT 2016

On 12 Apr 2016, at 17:41, Bernard Kelly <physicsbeany at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, I'm running Mathematica 10.4.0 on OS X 10.11.4 ("El Capitan")

Hi Beany,

This could indicate that h5mma has crashed, or possibly that it could never run it in the first place.  Can you try running the h5mma executable from a terminal? It should give some output, rather than segfault.

Can you do an h5dump on the HDF5 file to check it is OK?  If the file is corrupt, it's possible that the HDF5 library is segfaulting. You can also try reading it with the built-in Mathematica HDF5 reader.  Just replace ImportHDF5 with Import.  We found the built-in reader to be extremely flakey with complicated and large HDF5 files, but in simple cases it is probably fine.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin