[Users] preliminary release announcement text and update

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Dec 6 14:15:38 CST 2016

Hi

The preliminary release announcement text is up at

  http://einsteintoolkit.org/about/releases/ET_2016_11_announcement.txt

If you want to add/remove/change something, either go ahead yourself, or
let me know directly. All developers should have write access to

  https://svn.einsteintoolkit.org/www/about/releases/ET_2016_11_announcement.txt

Also let me know if you don't, and you would like to have access.

Release status
--------------

We still have one worrying problem: the BSSN constraints can sometimes
be wrong, resulting in test failures in the thorns Dissipation and
RotatingSymmetry90/180.
We are not sure what 'sometimes' really depends on. Indications are that
most failures happen with Intel 15, but some are apparently also seen
with Intel 16, while others with Intel 16 seem to work fine.
Optimization -O1 instead of -O2 seems to prevent the problem, but is not
a viable workaround. A simple 'print' statement in the affected
(auto-generated) code also makes the problem disappear. Running using
one MPI process and one openMP thread reproduces the problem. valgrind
does not find anything obvious pointing to memory mess-up.

Peter Diener is working on the problem: please contact him if you like
to help.

Frank