[Users] meeting minutes for 2016-12-12

Roland Haas rhaas at aei.mpg.de
Thu Dec 15 10:05:54 CST 2016

Hello all,

> The failing tests are
>
> GRHydro.GRHydro_test_shock_weno
> NaNChecker.nancount
>
> These started failing when we moved the test VM from one host to
> another, so this is probably CPU-dependent.
NaNCount is odd since the code is new enough that it should just set up
nans directly and the cfg file does not set -ffast-math so NaNs should
be detected. I will try and see if I can reproduce this on my laptop
but it seems this is very specific to the VMs used for Jenkins.

Note that the many failures on comet and gordon seem to be related to
file corruption when producing ASCII Carpet output (though
CarpetIOASCII seems bug free). The corruption goes away if I force
flushing of the buffers after each line (using std::endl instead of
"\n"). This happens on both comet and gordon which use different
versions of the intel compiler (2015 and 2013) and different gcc
compilers (for the C++ library). It almost sounds like a file system
issue (they both use similar scratch file systems since they are both
at SDSC) and the issue goes away if I run in $HOME rather than $SCRATCH.