[Users] max number of processes on TACC Stampede login nodes

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Dec 16 09:55:00 CST 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 02:30:32PM -0600, Roland Haas wrote:
>rhaas at login3:~/tmp$ ulimit -a | grep processes
>max user processes              (-u) 150
>
>which is reached (in my case) when compiling with the default -j
>settings in simfactory on stampede (somewhere in PeTSc).

Since I had to look it up and others might want the same: stampede is
currently configured to use
  make -j8
which is reasonable, I believe.

And: 150 is indeed quite low. Maybe it would make sense to ask them to
increase this a little if you can show that it does hamper parallel
compilation.

Nevertheless, I am surprised that you reach 150 processes with just 8
parallel make sessions. Assuming you got some 'background' processes
just by logging in, that would probably still mean more than 10
processes per make, which sounds high. Do you know why that number is so
high?

I also compiled a lot on stampede lately. I've never seen that problem.
Could it be that your limit of 150 is taken by something else than the
processes spawned by make?
My "problem" on stampede is the limit of 5GB home. Despite $WORK being
said to be optimized for large files, they advised me to compile there
if $HOME isn't big enough. 5GB is already too small for two
configurations...

Frank