[Users] Installing on OSX10.12

Eloisa Bentivegna eloisa.bentivegna at ct.infn.it
Mon Dec 19 05:48:54 CST 2016

On 19/12/16 07:57, Guy Pitman wrote:
> Further to my last email on this issue,
>
> Can anyone tell me what version of gcc we should be using for the install?
> I notice that the Mac Homebrew installation refers to gcc46 -  but there
> seems to be a problem running that on a Mac (it seemed to install OK
> under home-brew but I get segmentation fault 11- doing gcc-46 —version)
> :googling this, clang (Apple's LLVM-based C compiler) is intended to be
> a compatible replacement for gcc? I also tried gcc49 but that gives a
> problem with linking.  If I use the clang compiler, I get a problem with
>  the *unknown type*
> *      name ‘CCTK_COMPLEX16’ etc.*

Hi Guy!

There is an open ticket about compiling Cactus with clang:

https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1933

so I assume this road will not work.

I suggest using what is specified in the optionlist, which for homebrew
and the latest ET release is gcc-6. If you experience linking problems,
it's probably a completely different issue: in that case, post again to
the list with the exact error message and we can try and solve that too.

Best,
Eloisa