[Users] Installing on OSX10.12

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Dec 19 07:10:52 CST 2016

On 19 Dec 2016, at 12:48, Eloisa Bentivegna <eloisa.bentivegna at ct.infn.it> wrote:

> On 19/12/16 07:57, Guy Pitman wrote:
>> Further to my last email on this issue,
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what version of gcc we should be using for the install?
>> I notice that the Mac Homebrew installation refers to gcc46 -  but there
>> seems to be a problem running that on a Mac (it seemed to install OK
>> under home-brew but I get segmentation fault 11- doing gcc-46 —version)
>> :googling this, clang (Apple's LLVM-based C compiler) is intended to be
>> a compatible replacement for gcc? I also tried gcc49 but that gives a
>> problem with linking.  If I use the clang compiler, I get a problem with
>> the *unknown type*
>> *      name ‘CCTK_COMPLEX16’ etc.*
>
> Hi Guy!
>
> There is an open ticket about compiling Cactus with clang:
>
> https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1933
>
> so I assume this road will not work.

You will also need a fortran compiler, and many other libraries, so using macports or homebrew is probably the easiest solution.

> I suggest using what is specified in the optionlist, which for homebrew
> and the latest ET release is gcc-6. If you experience linking problems,
> it's probably a completely different issue: in that case, post again to
> the list with the exact error message and we can try and solve that too.

It can be quite tricky to get all the different parts of the optionlist correct for compiling the ET.

Guy, have you followed the exact instructions in either the homebrew or macports optionlists?  I imagine it's quite annoying if you already have different compilers etc installed using macports or homebrew.  I don't know a good solution to this.  I also see that the instructions at https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Simplified_Tutorial_for_New_Users don't say "Read the top of the optionlist and install the required packages", which they probably should.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin