[Users] McLachlan Shift Condition

Gwyneth Allwright allgwy001 at myuct.ac.za
Sat Dec 31 04:30:44 CST 2016

Hi Peter,

Thanks! I had a look at the part of the code you pointed me to, and it does
seem like a straightforward modification.

The rules for dotbeta[ua], dot[beta[ua]] and dot[B[ua]] make sense to me,
besides for the sign of the first IfThen term in dot[B[ua]]:

dot[B[ua]] -> IfB[+ dotXt[ua]
                         + IfThen[fixAdvectionTerms != 0,
                                   Upwind[beta[ub], Xt[ua], lb],
                                   0]
                         - (betaDriverValue
                              (+ B[ua]
                                 +
       IfThen[fixAdvectionTerms != 0 && advectShift != 0,
                                           Upwind[beta[ub], beta[ua], lb] /
                                            (shiftGammaCoeffValue alpha^
            shiftAlphaPower),
                                           0]))
                         + IfThen[fixAdvectionTerms == 0 && advectShift !=
0,
                                   Upwind[beta[ub], B[ua], lb],
                                   0]
                         + Dissipation[B[ua]],
                        0]

Comparing with the gamma driver condition in the wiki (
http://grwiki.physics.ncsu.edu/wiki/Shift_Conditions), shouldn't this term
be negative, or am I missing something?

You mentioned that shiftAlphaPower doesn't affect the code any more, but it
seems to feature in the rule for dotbeta[ua]. Wouldn't I be able to make
the time derivative of beta proportional to alpha by setting the parameter
shiftAlphaPower = 1?

Thanks again for your help, and Happy (soon-to-be) New Year!

Best,

Gwyneth