[Users] McLachlan Shift Condition

Peter Diener diener at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Dec 30 04:04:33 CST 2016

Hi Gwyneth,

On Wednesday 2016-12-28 15:00, Gwyneth Allwright wrote:

>Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 15:00:10
>From: Gwyneth Allwright <allgwy001 at myuct.ac.za>
>To: Peter Diener <diener at cct.lsu.edu>
>Cc: users at einsteintoolkit.org
>Subject: Re: [Users] McLachlan Shift Condition
>
>Hi Peter,
>Thanks so much! I asked because I'd like to try running simulations with the
>modified shift condition described in this paper (second
>page): https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0511103
>
>Some terms that feature in the usual gamma driver equations are dropped, and
>the lapse appears in the time derivative of beta. Would I have to make
>changes to the Kranc code in order to implement such a condition?

There is presently no parameter choice that would implement that
particular version of the gamma driver shift in McLachlan. So, yes
modifying the code would be the only option. It should be
straightforward to modify the Kranc script and then regenerate the code
(if you have a Mathematica license).

The Kranc script can be found in:

Cactus/repos/mclachlan/m/McLachlan_BSSN.m

You'll have to modify the relevant part (i.e. the rules for dot[beta[ua]]
and dot[B[ua]]) of the calculation EverythingFromBSSNCalc.

It's probably easier for you to simply replace those complicated rules
by your version for testing instead of adding options to add it to the
existing shift.

If it turns out to be useful for you, we can then later think about how
to add it to McLachlan permanently.

>Best,
>
>Gwyneth

Cheers,