[Users] meeting minutes for 2016-02-15

Roland Haas rhaas at aei.mpg.de
Mon Feb 15 10:04:22 CST 2016

Present: Frank, Peter, Matt, Josh, Roland, Barry, Eloisa, Ian, Rahul

hwloc issues
(http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2016-February/004707.html):
* Frank will look into them

Visualization software to use with Carpet data:
* VisIt is currently the most mature support
* experimental support in yt, but requires more work to make usable
* currently output for 3d data is one file per process, changing to one
file per timestep is not straightforward. See thread by
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2016-January/004671.html

ExternalLibraries:
* inconsistent user visible interface
* rather want cosistent interface than new features for now
* current implementation in bash in HDF5 is seen as a starting point,
but all agree that having a language with more robust error control
would be better (perl or python seem viable options)
* all that want to contribute should look at the current bash code to
decide which concepts to use and also if switching languages is the
right thing to do. This should be done by next week's call.
* (added after the call), keep in mind https://github.com/LLNL/spack and
the discussion in
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2016-January/004679.html as
a possible long term or even currently available solution